Friday, May 27, 2016

Syracuse firefighters OK contract requiring new hires to live in city 5 years | syracuse.com

      Syracuse firefighters have a new contract and it includes a residency requirement for new hires in their first five years with the city. Then they can move to the burbs.
    The three year pact also increases the contribution to health insurance to about 15% with the city paying the other 85%.  
     Salt City smoke eaters will get raises totaling 8% over the three years.
      According to the Post Standard, mandatory residency can only be imposed as a function of a CBA.  Buffalo firemen have a career long requirement to live in the Queen City.
Syracuse firefighters OK contract requiring new hires to live in city 5 years | syracuse.com#incart_river_home#incart_river_home#incart_river_home#incart_river_home#incart_river_home#incart_river_home#incart_river_home#incart_river_home#incart_river_home#incart_river_home

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think city department heads including city manager and also police personal should be included in residency requirements.

Anonymous said...

This is the liberal democrat mayor who fights with Cuomo because he wasn't liberal enough. Yet even SHE plays hard ball with the bloated fire department.

Anonymous said...

What will happen here is the firequeens will agree to this, then violate the agreement, then win in court. YOu can't regain control of a system once you have lost it. Check out our overpriced and ineffective school system.

Anonymous said...


1024 guess you missed the part about the settled contract and the 8% raise. This is hardly playing hardball.
She must understand how to negotiate and work with her unions to get to common ground and resolution. Wonder how much needless expense she spared her taxpayers?

I have to agree with 839. It was well known that the CM did not maintain her residency for a time and that many department heads do not live in the city including the City Attorney, Purchasing Manager, Code Supervisor, Park and Recreation Superintendent, Civil Service Secretary, Water Superintendent, IT Manager, City Engineer, and the list goes on and on. If we want residency requirements this might be a good place to start. At minimum, the person who spends our money (Purchasing) should at least live in the county. Absolute double-standard.

Anonymous said...

9:11, fine post. Thanks.

Howard azmat said...

Hey 911 the Purchasing Director got the Comptroller's wife the endorsement of the SP union, Years ago there was a issue with Dept. Heads living in the COW, the former Assessor had to, The current Fire Chief was supposed to be he rented the house out, All in all a complete scam when residency is a requiremnt.

Anonymous said...

Its such delicious irony that you could barbeque it over one of those mysterious fires that started before the elections.

Here we have a city with such high taxes due to the outlandish size and pay of the fire department. Taxes so high that you have to actually FORCE a city employee to live in the city, or else they won't. You can't make this stuff up.

Anonymous said...

Howard get you facts straight... the FC does live in the city.
As for the Syracuse contract, its believing that 8% isn't too much to ask for if you live in the big city.. Must be they know how to manage.
Just a questions but if the FD is too over supervised by officers, then why is it ok for the detectives in the WPD to have a sergeant and now a newly appointed lieutenant? Two bosses for 6 or 8 people. and I loved the article about Macaluso being reprimanded by the Times about creating issues not needed by the council. I'm glad someone of a higher caliber finally realized and said something about how un-informed she really is and that she really just needs to resign before she really mashes up the city like her coffee shop even more. And the county needs to look at Mr. Jennings. He is a close second place and is really painful to listen to, when he talks.

Anonymous said...

9:05 is on it. Perfect. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

The county obviously approves of Jennings 5:04 or he wouldn't be where he is. As the Mayor said on his show last week, Jennings has a lock on reelection. As for Macaluso, not sure is its uninformed so much as growing frustration with the FD. If you don't like either of these people, why don't you throw your hat into the ring? Do you live in the city?