Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The Dust Bin of History Grew Today

   I understand there's a danger in equating history with junk, but I was sad today when I got to work and the two RCA  AM transmitters were gone. I get they were in the way and not used. One of them was the one used when AM 1240 became the City's first radio station in 1941.
    They looked so art deco...like devices used by Dr. Frankenstein....I would have like to salvage at least the RCA badges off the front. That's Radio Corporation of America.....Gone too.
     Maybe I was misty because I am a broadcast relic too, along with Ted Ford and Joe Brosk, who told me today we all end up on the dust bin of history. Joe has a way of cheering you up.
     

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I forgot about that Brosk guy. He's not just a funny guy but smart as a whip too. You should get him to guest host again.

Mike Ring said...

It is sad. My first radio job was at WATN and the 250 was tested on air regularly. It also had the ability to change frequencies because of Conelrad, so Cold War enemy bombers could not use radio stations as navigation aids. Sad to see history tossed away like that, but that's the nature of things sometimes. Visit WGY in Schenectady for a look at early radio. Amazing.

Anonymous said...

You still have a radio show?

Anonymous said...

No one tried to get rid of it on EBay? You'd think some radio guru out there would have snatched it up either to tinker with or put on display.

Anonymous said...

I seem to recall that at one time WATN was located in a bank building in downtown. Also believe their tower was atop the building. I'm wondering if anyone has a picture of the building and tower.

Anonymous said...

Located in the NNY Trust Company, station owned by Harry Righter. Tower on roof.
Building located at current site of HSBC Building.
Station forced to move by Trust Co. Board of Directors. Moved to Welthea Ave site.