Sunday, November 29, 2015

What Was Once Novel, Is No More

  While shopping for garland at Wal-Mart the other day I wandered down the housewares aisle and looked at microwave ovens, a common and ubiquitous appliance.
    Remember when such a thing was a big deal...Amazing you could make something hot without heating up the oven.   The first microwave I bought when out on my own after college was from Joe Powers Appliances and  it cost $400.....Back then, a lot of change. It was very heavy. I know, as I moved it from apartment to apartment. Didn't have a rotating platter either.
      I saw a small microwave for as little as $48 and full size ones for under a $100. 
      Back then it was a major purchase you did in a specialized store with a salesman to explain it to you. Now you just throw it in the cart without much thought, and if it breaks in a year or two, you send it to Rodman and get a new one.
       Another item from the 70s was The Seventies, the retrospective series on CNN.  When you look at things only vaguely in memory like the Munich Olympics, all those IRA bombings and the Bloody Sundays and Bloody Fridays. The dust ups with the PLO and the fuss over Arafat at the UN.  You watch it all and say, 'I remember that', and that's why current terrorism is just more grist for the mill.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The thing with these $48 microwaves is you get what you pay for.

My parents still have their original microwave from the late 70's or early 80's. Analog dial timer and all.

I bought one a few years ago, and it didn't even last a year before breaking.