If you have ever been in the Evans Mills area and seen a street called the Pink Schoolhouse Road, read on.
The road is named for the one-room schoolhouse that once stood there but was disassembled and rebuilt in it's new home in the back 40 at the Jefferson County Historical Society on Washington Street. The 100-year-old structure was the place starting a century ago and until the 1950's students studied through grades one thru six with the help of a single teacher.
No administrators....no union....no pools...or theaters or indoor plumbing.
Yet for the many students who attended, it was a great education. Ninety-six year old Eldon Schell was one of those students and tonight he attended the rededication of the former school, freshly restored and ready to host youngsters yearning for a glimpse of the good old days.
Lots of people were responsible for this preservation of days gone by, and they all deserve major kudos.
The snippets of the North Country's past available at the museum located in the Paddock Mansion are reason to support this worthwhile organization.
The Pink Schoolhouse restoration was an inspiration to anyone who values the way things were.....And a look at the grads of the Pink show all the pricey trappings of modern education may enhance but surely don't replace the basics taught to some many in this modest structure.